Many things can contribute to this. Slow hard drive access times, not enough free CPU resources, can cause stuttering in recording or playback. If increasing the buffer or latency settings in the sound device preferences (File Menu > Preferences > Sound Device) doesn't help, and you have Mixcraft 5 or higher, try this:
- In Mixcraft, click on the File menu and select Preferences.
- Choose the Recording preferences.
- Try switching the Recording File Type setting from "Uncompressed Wave File" to "Compressed Ogg Vorbis File."
- Now record something and see if the problem is gone.
- Check out this video on how to Optimize your computer for use with Mixcraft.
- Finally, make sure your computer is not in power-saving mode: Windows Power Plans and CPU Throttling